- Sun 04 Sep 2022
- 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Legende & Variations with Janice McClelland Sunday 4th September at Lower Withington
THIS WORKSHOP IS NOT AVAILABLE TO BOOK YET
THIS WORKSHOP IS IN PERSON AT LOWER WITHINGTON
Legende is a typeface designed by Ernst Schneidler (1882-1956) in the 1930s. Schneidler was a calligrapher, illustrator and teacher who studied both architecture and art. He designed typefaces and Legende has been adopted as a calligraphy script and is open to a variety of adaptations.
We’ll start with the basics and cast a calligrapher’s eye over the letters – font analysis! – and use this to guide our own letterforms in a lower-case alphabet.
We’ll then move on to the weird and wonderful capital letters and look at some of the possible variations.
Usual toolkit plus;
• Size 2, 3 and 4 Mitchell or Manuscript nib or equivalent Brause/Speedball.
• Pilot Pens are okay to use for this; size 3.8mm and a smaller one if you have one.
• Cartridge paper and usual practice paper
• Gouache or coloured ink
• Flat brush – depending on what you have in your collection, something like Artmaster Pearl size 8 to 10, Galaxy No.6 or larger, Pro Arte 1/8”, ¼” or 3/8”.
• Any Copperplate/Modern Calligraphy nibs that you already have
• a quote, poem, prose or any words you may like to write out.